As A Fellow Student Of Connecticut
Letter To The Editor
Connecticut is proud to have the 2nd strongest, most comprehensive gun control laws in the nation.
Swiftly passed in the wake of the Sandy Hook Tragedy, with strong leadership from Governor Dannel Malloy, An Act Concerning Gun Violence Prevention and Children’s Safety, enacted common sense gun control measures – including universal background checks, an expanded list of state-prohibited assault weapons, and a ban on magazines that hold more than ten rounds.
Tom Foley will not admit this has made us safer.
Tom Foley is willing to use gun control for purely political purposes.
This past Thursday, democratic incumbent Governor Dannel Malloy and Tom Foley met at UConn for the third of four gubernatorial debate. Malloy, lauding the state’s progress on gun reform, pointing to the facts: homicides have been lowered by 32-percent over the past two years and crime is at a 40 year low.
This is responsible, results-based leadership. Foley, who has received an endorsement from the extremist Connecticut Citizens Defense League, responded with the same cliché right-wing argument: that the gun control law is overreaching and unproductive. Foley hopes that this rhetoric will be louder than the facts.
To voters this November, it won’t be.
Tom Foley is willing to put the facts aside to gain support from more conservative republicans throughout the state. At first, Foley said he would not repeal the gun legislation. This quickly changed. If the Connecticut legislature passes a bill repealing the Sandy Hook legislation, Foley is on the record saying he will sign the repeal.
Unfortunately, common sense gun reform is not something that Connecticut citizens can take for granted come November. If we want to continue our state’s leadership in gun reform, we must demand it by re-electing Governor Dannel Malloy on Election Day.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Scribe News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SCRIBE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SCRIBE NEWS
- The Scribe Online Podcast - Police Militarization, School Shootings, and...
- T.I. Releases His Ninth Studio Album
- Houdini’s best trick is... disappointing its audience
- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn Improves The Series!
- Mary Lambert Wears Her Heart On Her Sleeve
- Swingin' With The S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Dynasty Warriors Presents: The Legend of Zelda
RECENT THE SCRIBE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum