Ask Sparkles Advice Column
I haven’t seen my family since the beginning of the semester. They said that they would visit 3 times, but never did; they are only an hour away. They also tell me that I cannot come home. It is never a good time. What do I do?
First, I would suggest not to jump to conclusions. Your family may feel like it is better for you not to go home unless it is a break. Some parents feel like it creates too much of a dependency if their college student is constantly coming home every time they feel homesick. It is also important to remember that just because you are not home doesn’t mean that your family is not experiencing life. Something important may have gotten in the way.
I would suggest just bluntly asking why is it that you cannot come home? If it is an hour away, it will not interfere with your studies. Explain to them why you want to come home and how homesick you are. If there is a problem try to address their concerns and come up with a solution. Maybe you can suggest that you stay at another relative’s house or a friend’s house while you are in town. Remember to try to address your family's concerns and worries; don’t trivialize it.
The only way to solve this problem is to try to have an honest dialogue about what is going on.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Scribe News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SCRIBE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SCRIBE NEWS
- The Scribe Online Podcast - Police Militarization, School Shootings, and...
- T.I. Releases His Ninth Studio Album
- Houdini’s best trick is... disappointing its audience
- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn Improves The Series!
- Mary Lambert Wears Her Heart On Her Sleeve
- Swingin' With The S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Dynasty Warriors Presents: The Legend of Zelda
RECENT THE SCRIBE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum