Message from UB Security
Hello, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome the new and returning students as well as faculty and staff for the Fall 2003 semester. As for the Security Department, we have undergone some changes. We are no longer Burns International Security Services. A Swedish company bought out Burns Security by the name of Securitas Security Services USA, Inc. For those of you who are familiar with the campus, you will notice that our officers are wearing different uniforms. As far as the service that we have provided in the past, we will strive to keep doing better. Our office is located in Norseman Hall directly behind the Wahlstrom Library. For your safety and convenience, there is an ATM (Wachovia Bank, formerly First Union) located in the vestibule of our office. Campus Security is staffed by 40 personnel and operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year round. We take complaints and requests for service within the U.B. community, dispatch personnel to handle the calls and record the information of these calls. We also monitor intrusion, fire and boiler alarms for the campus property.
Campus Security monitors and provides beepers (PAL) for Campus Secure System. The Campus Secure System is a small personal alarm locator (PAL) that is issued to students. It is also available to staff that wish to have them. When a person is in need of help, they activate the device and computers in the Campus Security office will display a map or floor plan, designating the person's location on campus. It will also display a color photo of the person, along with their personal information, description and any medical alert information, provided by the user.
Upon receipt of the alarm, patrol personnel are dispatched to assist the person in need. The patrol unit of Campus Security consists of supervisors on patrol in a high visibility vehicle, 24 hours a day, along with varying numbers of uniformed patrols on foot and bicycle. They maintain a high visibility security presence on campus and respond to all requests for service and reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Walking escorts are provided on campus only. In addition, they are responsible for building safety inspections and conduct investigations. Shift supervisors are trained in first aid and serve as the designated E.M.S. first responders for the campus. Uniformed access control officers staff all resident halls, with the exception of Warner Hall, which is card access. The officers are assigned to the residence halls, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition to the resident halls, we maintain access control and a security presence, during off hours, in the Student Center and A&H (Arnold Bernhard Center).
Our department supplies security on a demand basis for numerous special events such as dances, athletics, visiting dignitaries, etc. It is with great pride, that I inform the U.B. community that we will be presented with the Jeanne Clery Award for taking preventive measures and improvements regarding safety on campus. The "Jeanne Clery Campus Safety Award", was established in 1994. Howard & Connie Clery present this award to honor schools and individuals that have done extraordinary things to make college and university students safer. The award is named in memory of their daughter Jeanne, who was murdered on a university campus in 1986. The recipients of this award are selected, each year, by Howard and Connie Clery and awarded by Security On Campus, Inc.
For more information regarding the Clery Act and the award, you can access their website at http://www.securityoncampus.org. This award is a community effort in accordance with Security, so I strongly encourage that everyone report anything that appears suspicious or out of the norm. If you are ever in need of emergency assistance, please contact Campus Security at 576-4911 or 4912. If the call is regarding a request for information or is not an emergency situation, contact Security at 576-4913. SECURITY IS EVERYONE'S RESPONSIBILITY - HELP US HELP YOU! Director April J Vournelis
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Scribe News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SCRIBE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SCRIBE NEWS
- The Scribe Online Podcast - Police Militarization, School Shootings, and...
- T.I. Releases His Ninth Studio Album
- Houdini’s best trick is... disappointing its audience
- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn Improves The Series!
- Mary Lambert Wears Her Heart On Her Sleeve
- Swingin' With The S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Dynasty Warriors Presents: The Legend of Zelda
RECENT THE SCRIBE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates