The Two Sides to SGA
On February 2, 2012 Julian Sampson, former class president for the class of 2014, tagged a number of people on Facebook in his note entitled "What You Need to Know (My Article) SGA." In the note, Sampson expresses his regret for even becoming class president. The major factor that led him to wanting to resign as class president is his fellow SGA members who he called "puppets." What pushed Sampson off the edge most of all is not receiving his stipend. Sampson feels that SGA's decisions are only based on one person's thoughts, Colin Capaci, the president of SGA.
"I still haven't received my stipend to this day," said Sampson. The reason he stated for not receiving is stipend is he was told by Capaci that he did not have the proper requirements. Capaci, after having a sit down conversation, explained to Sampson that the reason he did not receive his stipend was because he only attended one town hall meeting when three is required in the constitution. However, Sampson took matters into his own hands and right after their conversion placed his essay on Facebook.
The decision taken by Sampson to go public with his faults of SGA was when Capaci felt that things had gotten "out of hand." The executive board saw Sampson's public essay as "an explicit statement of resignation," said Capaci. Not only were some of Sampson's friends tagged in the essay, but also the executive board members as well. Capaci and the rest of the executive board only felt right to resign someone who so clearly spoke his mind about no longer wanting to be a part of SGA.
"Better leadership skills, being clear about where he stands and being prepared and knowing everyone in the student government" according to Sampson is needed by Capaci or a president in general. "He has a persuasive way of forcing SGA members in supporting his ideas," said Sampson. Also, he feels that decisions should be made together, not one person only calling the shots.
Capaci has learned a lot from this whole ordeal and has changed a few things, involving the way he runs SGA and documenting. "There is no more word-of-mouth conversations solely; instead everything said is documented and sent through e-mail," said Capaci. In addition, Capaci feels that if he tells one of the members of SGA to do something that is expected of them he wants it to be done. He feels that he has been too slack in checking up on the members of SGA. To make sure everything is running well he wants to stay on top of the members to make sure their work is being done and not just simply that; also done on time.
"Why does the executive board continue to aid Mr. Capaci in his distortion of what was once considered the organization of greatness, of intellect and one that was comprised of REAL LEADERS?" said Sampson on Facebook. Sampson was asking those that read his note, what they felt about SGA after hearing his complaints? "Through all of this SGA is remaining positive and optimistic and we know the best interest of the students lies within honesty in productivity," said Capaci. In Colin's perspective, SGA will keep moving forward and the minor setbacks will help improve SGA. Now, students and faculty of UB knows the controversies of SGA and from this, can decide for themselves if SGA is really there for the students and not just abusing their power. Where will you stand?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Scribe News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SCRIBE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SCRIBE NEWS
- The Scribe Online Podcast - Police Militarization, School Shootings, and...
- T.I. Releases His Ninth Studio Album
- Houdini’s best trick is... disappointing its audience
- Mary Lambert Wears Her Heart On Her Sleeve
- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn Improves The Series!
- Swingin' With The S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Dynasty Warriors Presents: The Legend of Zelda
RECENT THE SCRIBE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'